Friday 9 August 2013

'LUCA' RIP 06.08.13 - 08.08.13

Versión Español aquí 

The following is harrowing and you may prefer not to read it.  While it’s not a nice story it does show the importance of humanitarian control of cat colonies to avoid the most dreadful suffering that can happen without it.

I had been expecting to post on the first two tours we did on Wednesday, but instead it seems more fitting to write a tribute about a new born kitten found between tours that was to have a very short-lived life.

The morning tour group on Wednesday 7th August was a Dutch family of daughter, mother and grandmother living in Ireland but on 'recce' here more than holiday to look for a place to move to. They could only complete the first part of the tour and in itself this worked out well because on the way back I found 'Luca'.
I was heading down a park stairwell and my attention was drawn to him by his squealing. I thought he was a mole or a rat at first. He was clearly lost and in great distress looking for his mummy.  He’d just narrowly escaped falling through a grate into the abyss of a drain below.
 
When I got him he still had his umbilical cord. He was covered with white bits which at the time I thought was some sort of plant life but later (correctly) occurred to me were flies' eggs. It seems as soon as he was given birth a swarm of flies descended upon him and showed him no mercy.
I'd come across who I now had to assume was his mother the day before. A very tame cat who must have been abandoned because I'd never seen her before. According to her feeder, a retired Argentinian chap, she was pregnant. It




seemed more that she was with milk but I assumed he knew best. After discovering 'Luca', it seemed not. Luca was relatively far away downhill from where his mother was, so phone calls were made and 45 mins later he was being given 'biberón'.


I arrived with him exactly on time at 16:00 for the second tour with Deborah, an English lady who's lived the past 30 years near Girona, just 80 miles north of Barcelona. 
All three of us completed the tour in the centre and Deborah gave Luca his second biberón.
After saying goodbye to Deborah at Plaça de Catalunya and thanking her for her generous donation, I took Luca back home to look after till his ‘foster mother’ that had been arranged came to pick him up the following afternoon. It had by then occurred to me that the plant life was in fact flies' eggs so I painstakingly picked off every one that was visible. Quite a few were deeply embedded. 
The next day it was difficult to give Luca biberón and he was visibly weakening. Eventually I found out why. I lifted up his right leg which seemed strangely listless and discovered a gaping wound.  He was being eaten alive from within by maggots.
I dashed to a vet's as soon as possible.  They’re nearly all closed during August as were three of my nearest.
There was no way his life was going to be saved so we had no choice but to euthanise him. 
More than a tear or two was shed (as they come back to me while writing). 
Rearing a kitten so very young it's touch and go as to whether they'll make it or not. It can be very difficult to give them bibéron, but he gulped it down as soon as it was put to his lips. He was going to make it, or at least he would have done if flies eggs hadn't been left inside of him. 
At least for a very short, brief while, Luca knew love, and was spared the full horrors of the fate that awaited him. 
The thought of what fate may have awaited his brothers' and sister's born with him doesn't bear thinking. 
Just in case the rest of her litter has survived, we’ll be back to castrate the mother after they’ve had time to grow and be old enough to eat. It is incalculable just how many horrors like this have been avoided through Barcelona's highly developed programme of CNR (Control, Neuter, Return). Tragically, this is one of the cases that couldn't be avoided, as much as it’s worst horrors were spared for Luca.
Originally I called him 'Birdie', a named after the daughter of the Dutch family Bridget in unisex form because I didn't know his sex, but then I renamed him 'Luca' in the end because 'luchador' is the Spanish word for 'fighter', and he fought for his life. I will continue fighting in his memory to see that this project acheives its full potential. 
May you rest in peace little Luca and may Heaven await you. God bless you little feller.
 
 
 
Graeme
(Coordinator & Guide, 'BCN ♥ Cats')

No comments:

Post a Comment